I met Steve Hinkley
AAvK
2006-04-14 10:24:04 UTC
Steve Hinkley the photographer that is... he was displaying his prints at the local
farmer's market, and WHAT astounding work, the prints were color and really large.
He uses an Ebony SV45Te folding bed camera. The images on the website are
rather small and insignificant compared to seeing them enlarged. I asked him if he
uses Photoshop, he said no, and no color changing lens filters besides a polarizer
and ND grads. Really incredible work so take a look: http://www.stevehinkley.com/

Not associated or affiliated, just thought I'd share.

Enjoy,
--
Giant_Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/
Gianni Rondinini
2006-04-14 13:25:57 UTC
Post by AAvK
uses Photoshop, he said no, and no color changing lens filters besides a polarizer
and ND grads. Really incredible work so take a look: http://www.stevehinkley.com/
i like his images. they're commercial images of well known places, but
i like them a lot.

i also like images by tom till and david muench, another two wonderful
natur photographers. one of the pros of till is that he still prints
ilfochrome having the paper cut for him (he prints also more than 6
feet wide (and wild ;) ).

i've seen one more that i liked quite a bit, but unfortunately i can't
remember his name. he's got a gallery inside caesar's palace in las
vegas. i've been told by an attendant (he was busy when i went there,
unfortunately) that he uses a very wide format lf camera, for which he
has film plates made on special request. he made good compositions,
but sometimes his colours were oversaturated sometimes: i'm afraid
that he works too much with photoshop after he has his negatives
digitalized.

regards,
--
Gianni Rondinini (30, tanti, RA)
Nikon user - Bmw driver
http://bugbarbeq.deviantart.com
Nicholas O. Lindan
2006-04-14 15:47:15 UTC
I asked him if he uses Photoshop, he said no, and no color changing lens
filters
... http://www.stevehinkley.com/
And nobody inhaled in the 60's...

What's the point? The photos look so much like they have been
photoshopped and heavily filtered it is hard to believe they
weren't, so why not just use photoshop and filters and be
done with it?

I can filter a scene or I can sit on my keister till Ma Nature filters
it for me, I don't see much difference. If nothing were ever to be
manipulated we would all be cramped in a singularity waiting for the
big bang.

YMMV, GND, NAFT, CASG: These images are not my style, so take
the above with a few tablespoons of sea salt.
no_name
2006-04-14 22:57:26 UTC
Post by Nicholas O. Lindan
I asked him if he uses Photoshop, he said no, and no color changing lens
filters
... http://www.stevehinkley.com/
And nobody inhaled in the 60's...
What's the point? The photos look so much like they have been
photoshopped and heavily filtered it is hard to believe they
weren't, so why not just use photoshop and filters and be
done with it?
I can filter a scene or I can sit on my keister till Ma Nature filters
it for me, I don't see much difference. If nothing were ever to be
manipulated we would all be cramped in a singularity waiting for the
big bang.
YMMV, GND, NAFT, CASG: These images are not my style, so take
the above with a few tablespoons of sea salt.
I liked some of the images, but I'm not overly impressed by purist
arguments against using photoshop or filters.

My own preference is to enjoy the scene while capturing the image; to
become one with what I'm photographing.

But that's driven almost as much by the need to catch my breath & get my
heartrate under control after luggin' all that crap over hill 'n dale to
get to where I've set up the tripod.

And having gone to all that trouble, especially since I have to lug all
that stuff BACK again after making the exposure ... when I finally get
the film processed, if it's not what I hoped it would be, I'm not
ashamed to use the tools available to make the best of what I've got.
AAvK
2006-04-14 23:43:49 UTC
Post by Nicholas O. Lindan
YMMV, GND, NAFT, CASG: These images are not my style, so take
the above with a few tablespoons of sea salt.
No... a grain of generic table salt, not even Morton's. The purist arguement is
an excellent one and if you saw Steve's work up close and in person, you'd
bite your tounge. Because it is pure, natural, real photography that looks
incredible. Not Photoshop, and none needed.
Greg "_"
2006-04-14 16:56:06 UTC
Post by AAvK
Not associated or affiliated, just thought I'd share.
Lenswork a while back made a statement I have somewhat taken to heart
it is the that landscape photographers too often become A RAT
photographer that is another rock and tree photographer. Something to
consider.

Weren't these shown in View Camera a while back-the tonality in print
bugged me then too. More and more color imagery simply does less for me.
--
The sometimes insomniac.

www.gregblankphoto.com
Lloyd Erlick
2006-04-15 13:55:54 UTC
On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 12:56:06 -0400, "Greg
Post by Greg "_"
More and more color imagery simply does less for me.
April 15, 2006, from Lloyd Erlick,

I've been feeling this way since 1968.
--le
Nicholas O. Lindan
2006-04-15 18:29:25 UTC
Post by Lloyd Erlick
Post by Greg "_"
More and more color imagery simply does less for me.
I've been feeling this way since 1968.
"Anybody got anything for an acid stomach?"
Tiny Doctor Tim.
You had to be there...

Irish Priest: "And why is it that you're drinking,
Timmy me boy?"

Tiny Dr. Tim: "Cause it's bad for my hulabalutions -- I
get to see things in real black and white;
I despise electric blue, and pink, and ..."

Firesign Theatre